SharePoint is a powerful platform that can be used to build custom intranet solutions for organizations of all sizes. SharePoint provides a variety of features and tools that can be used to create custom intranet solutions, such as:
Pages: Pages are the basic building blocks of a SharePoint intranet. You can use pages to create a variety of content, such as news announcements, company policies, and employee resources.
Lists: Lists can be used to track information, such as employee contact information, project tasks, and event registrations.
Libraries: Libraries can be used to store and organize files, such as documents, images, and videos.
Web parts: Web parts are small building blocks that you can add to pages to add functionality, such as calendars, polls, and social media feeds.
Power Apps: Power Apps is a low-code/no-code platform that can be used to create custom forms, workflows, and applications.
Microsoft Flow: Microsoft Flow is a no-code automation platform that can be used to automate workflows and tasks.
To build a custom intranet solution using SharePoint, you will need to:
- What information do you want to share on your intranet?
- What features do you want to include on your intranet?
- Who will be using your intranet?
- What are your goals for your intranet?
2. Create a SharePoint site. Once you have a plan, you can create a SharePoint site for your intranet. To do this, go to the SharePoint admin center and click Create site. Select Team site and give your site a name and description.
3. Add content and features to your intranet. Once you have created your SharePoint site, you can start adding content and features. Use the features and tools listed above to create a custom intranet solution that meets the needs of your organization.
4. Customize your intranet. SharePoint offers a variety of customization options that you can use to make your intranet look and feel the way you want it to. You can customize the navigation, theme, and branding of your intranet.
5. Promote and support your intranet. Once you have created and customized your intranet, you need to promote it to employees and provide support on how to use it. You can do this by sending out email announcements, creating training materials, and offering help desk support.
Tips for building custom intranet solutions using SharePoint
Here are some tips for building custom intranet solutions using SharePoint:
Start with a plan. It’s important to have a plan in place before you start building your intranet. This will help you to avoid making mistakes and ensure that your intranet meets the needs of your organization.
Use the right tools. SharePoint offers a variety of features and tools that can be used to build custom intranet solutions. Choose the tools that are right for your needs and your budget.
Get feedback from users. Once you have started building your intranet, get feedback from users. This will help you to identify any areas that need improvement.
Keep your intranet up-to-date. Make sure to keep your intranet up-to-date with new content and features. This will help to keep users engaged and coming back for more.
By following these tips, you can use SharePoint to build custom intranet solutions that will help your organization to improve communication, collaboration, and productivity.
Here are some examples of custom intranet solutions that can be built using SharePoint:
Employee directory: A SharePoint employee directory can be used to store and manage informaation about employees, such as contact information, job titles, and department affiliations.
Company news and announcements: A SharePoint news and announcements site can be used to share company news and announcements with employees.
Project management: A SharePoint project management site can be used to track and manage projects, including tasks, deadlines, and milestones.
Knowledge base: A SharePoint knowledge base can be used to store and share knowledge and resources with employees.
Training and development: A SharePoint training and development site can be used to provide employees with access to training materials and resources.
These are just a few examples of the many custom intranet solutions that can be built using SharePoint. With SharePoint, you can create an intranet solution that meets the specific needs of your organization.