SharePoint is a powerful platform that can be used to create and manage a robust intranet for your organization. An intranet is a private website that is only accessible to employees of your organization. It can be used to share information, collaborate on projects, and provide employees with access to the resources they need to do their jobs effectively
To create and manage your intranet using SharePoint, you will need to:
1. Plan your intranet. Before you start creating your intranet, it’s important to plan what you want to include. Consider the following questions:
What information do you want to share on your intranet?
What features do you want to include on your intranet?
Who will be using your intranet?
What are your goals for your intranet?
2. Create a SharePoint site. Once you have a plan, you can create a SharePoint site for your intranet. To do this, go to the SharePoint admin center and click Create site. Select Team site and give your site a name and description.
3. Add content and features to your intranet. Once you have created your SharePoint site, you can start adding content and features. SharePoint offers a variety of features that you can use to create a robust intranet, such as:
Pages: Pages are the basic building blocks of a SharePoint intranet. You can use pages to share information, such as news announcements, company policies, and employee resources.
News: The News feature allows you to share news and announcements with employees on your intranet.
Lists: Lists can be used to track information, such as employee contact information, project tasks, and event registrations.
Libraries: Libraries can be used to store and organize files, such as documents, images, and videos.
Web parts: Web parts are small building blocks that you can add to pages to add functionality, such as calendars, polls, and social media feeds.
4. Customize your intranet. SharePoint offers a variety of customization options that you can use to make your intranet look and feel the way you want it to. You can customize the navigation, theme, and branding of your intranet.
5. Promote and support your intranet. Once you have created and customized your intranet, you need to promote it to employees and provide support on how to use it. You can do this by sending out email announcements, creating training materials, and offering help desk support.
Tips for creating and managing a successful SharePoint intranet
Here are some tips for creating and managing a successful SharePoint intranet:
- Make it easy to use. Your intranet should be easy to navigate and use for all employees, regardless of their technical expertise. Use clear and concise language, and avoid using jargon.
- Keep it up-to-date. Your intranet should be updated regularly with new content and features. This will help to keep employees engaged and coming back for more.
- Promote your intranet. Once your intranet is ready, you need to promote it to employees and provide them with support on how to use it. You can do this by sending out email announcements, creating training materials, and offering help desk support.
- Monitor and improve your intranet. Once your intranet is live, it’s important to monitor its usage and make improvements as needed. You can do this by collecting feedback from employees and tracking website analytics.
By following these tips, you can use SharePoint to create and manage a successful intranet that will help your organization to improve communication, collaboration, and productivity.